Sunday 18 January 2015

Suetonius Paulinus

Here is the Roman responsible for defeating Boudicca; Gaius Suetonius Paulinus.



This is a Wargames Foundry model I have had for a number of years and every so often I have pulled the set from out of the press-lock bag, looked at, desired to paint it up and yet was slightly too daunted by knowing that it was going to be one of those 'best effort' figures.  Many times I opted instead to paint units en-masse knowing I could spend the same time painting multiples of figures for the time it would take to do this one.

As I am in a 'Roman' historical frame of mind currently, and enthused by several superb Roman vs Britons wargames of late, I knew that it was about time I had a commander on a proper command stand to command my Legions.





In the event, painting was an absolute joy.  The black undercoat provided shadow for those difficult to get at areas like gaps between pteruges.  I wouldn't go as far as saying that the figures virtually painted themselves, but it was a lot quicker than I imagined and before I knew it, I was trying to find the right composition of the vignette on the base with the figures happily painted and varnished.


Paints used were predominantly from the Foundry Triad range.  Since buying a set of these last year I haven't looked back - I think they are superb paints and I will be getting a lot more of them.  I also used Vallejo and Games Workshop paints (esp Mithral Silver for metal highlights).

 I have gone for a softer shade for the edging of the base.  I'm starting to think that black/dark brown edging might detract from the figures and pull the eye towards the frame as it were, rather than allow focus on the figure.  I might be over-thinking this.  I used Vallejo 'English Uniform' for the edging on this base and I feel the softer edge does allow the figures to be the focus.


 A chap who has had better days than this one!





And a few close ups of the main man himself





Inspired by painting this command stand, I have painted a few others in the last few weeks, all of them being a lot of fun to paint.    Painting time is going to be restricted by other commitments over the next couple of months, however I have saved pics of the other completed projects which I will post up as time allows.

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful vignette, Jason. So many fine details - the plaid trousers being only one, all superbly executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. I must confess that I left the trousers until last! Painting anything remotely like tartan I find quite challenging.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  2. Fantastic work! It may have taken some time to tackle but the end result is superb. I can feel the paint of the poor chap who's been defeated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monty, thanks for your kind comment. I wasn't sure whether to add a tether from the captive to the burly Roman who is guarding him, but in the end I thought that normal gaming would mean that the tether would keep getting broken.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  3. Fantastic command stand, great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyrus, thanks for your kind comment. I've got more command stands to follow so watch this space :-)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  4. Beautiful brushwork and composition, Jason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, Thanks for your kind comments. I have to keep the standard up now!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  5. Very nice painting! A great vignette. He was a big character, fought in the Civil War, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon,
      Thanks for your compliments. I'm also working on a project which I intend using with your rules - details of that to follow at a later date (when I've painted more!)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  6. Jason, details here are amazing, especially the faces, and the whole impression is really excellent for this beautiful vignette...no mercy for the vanquished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil,
      Thanks for your kind comments. I'm glad you like. I really enjoyed painting it once I finally started applying the colours!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  7. beautiful painting on the figures and lovely basing...marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil,
      Thanks for you compliments, I sometimes wonder whether I should add some static grass as well as the tufts to the basing - but I think i'm happy with it for the time being.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  8. It's a terrific vignette, Jason, full of character. It's a case where black undercoat (something I normally use only for small scale figures) really helps the painter in a larger scale. Lots to admire here.
    I don't see it ending well for the poor captive on the ground. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      Thank you for your kind comments. I look forward to posting some more command stand pictures up soon.
      As for the captive, I guess it's going to be slavery, gladiator school (or a part as an extra on HBO's 'Rome'!).
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete